How has lighting technology changed from tungsten filaments to light-emitting diodes?


In recent years, electric lighting has made incredible […]

In recent years, electric lighting has made incredible technological advances. With an understanding of the speed of light, researchers have been able to use LED technology to develop bulbs with tungsten filaments. Light-emitting diodes have been mass-produced as early as the 1960s, but initially they were only suitable for calculators and digital watches. At that time, the light output of the LED was still very low. With the development of LEDs, the light output has increased from less than 0.1 lm/W to more than 100 lm/W, which is equivalent to a leap in technology. The latest generation of LED lights can even reach an output of 300 lm/W Led Street lamps Suppliers.


Nowadays, LED lights are essential for lighting concepts in offices and homes. This is not surprising, because light-emitting diodes have a clear advantage over their predecessors: they are much more efficient! For example, the efficiency of a traditional light bulb is only 5%. The remaining 95% is lost in the form of heat. LED lighting can greatly improve efficiency. The German Testing Foundation Stiftung Warentest clearly stated: If a family of three uses LED technology to replace traditional light bulbs, it can save about 150 euros per year.